Re: Monitoring Standard Edition in EM 12c

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 21:04:50 -0400

Backup scheduling you can do.

As Pete Sharman has already noted, though, OEM alerts cannot be implemented for SE databases. Alerts from OEM require that you license the Diagnostics Pack for each monitored database, and none of the "packs" can be licensed for Standard Edition. This also means that you cannot use any of the other cool whiz-bang features of OEM that rely on Diagnostics or Tuning Pack, either (like this pretty performance graphs, for example).

Personally, I would write shell scripts to run my backups, and kick them off with "cron". While I have not seen OEM fail a huge number of times, I have seen "cron" fail a whole lot less. Write to me off-list if you want to hear horror stories about people going for weeks without backups because their OEM had failed.