Schema Naming Standards

From: Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 14:31:16 -0700

I was wondering if others have a naming standard for application schemas. Like do you had a prefix or suffix? It was started before I got to this company that all schemas end in "_USER" and then I later added a "_APP" for application logins to separate schemas that owned the objects and what the application logs in as. So for example for a Payroll program the schema would be PAYROLL_USER instead of just PAYROLL.

We are starting up a new database for a big system and the developers had asked to drop the _USER. The _APP will not be needed since users will log in directly to this particular database. I am open to the idea but was wondering what is common? Part of my concern is that one database will be different than others but really the _USER serves no purpose.

Thanks in advanced.

Jeff