Re: ASM rebalancing

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 11:14:46 -0500

For some reason, many of us (myself included) used to think ASM moved hot blocks to different areas to smooth out performance. This was a myth but I'm unsure of the origin.
I know it started many years ago however and I was disabused of the notion some time ago.

The only rebalancing ASM does is when you add or remove disks and data has to be moved/rebalanced based on percentages used of each device in the disk group. Has nothing to do with block usage.

Regards,
Chris