Re: DataGuard Bandwidth requirements

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 09:48:37 -0400

I am afraid it can be much more complex than this. I'm not an expert on this, but let me take a stab at it...

Do you need to replicate synchronously? If so, latency is going to be a critical consideration.

How much lag can you tolerate? If you base estimates on "hourly" redo rates, I can easily picture lags of an hour or two. If your estimate is based on an "average" hourly rate, lags of many hours (during/following peak periods) are not unlikely.

Are your data volumes subject to seasonal fluctuations? If so, you will want to size for your peak season.

If you want to set up a standby with a reasonable expectation of not (often) lagging by more than 5 minutes, then you need to identify the amount of redo generated in your busiest 5-minute interval (or maybe 90th percentile, if you want to save some money and can live with occasionally missing your SLA) and size your network to support that.

You also want to ensure that the bandwidth you specify is *guaranteed* to be available to your replication traffic. It benefits you nothing to size the bandwidth properly, and then have it all chewed up by people watching funny cat videos on youtube.