Oracle Upgrade

From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 15:57:17 +0000

Hi Experts
Has anyone use Oracle Primary- Physical Standby Environment to upgrade Oracle from old to newer version ? Point is to check the environment where direct upgrade is available. I know that Oracle documentation has something like the following but want to check if someone has really used it and working or has seen any issue. Objective is to have least downtime.
  • ASM based single node Primary and Physical Standby environment
  • Upgrade GI on Standby server to newer version
  • Convert Physical Standby to Logical
  • Upgrade Database to newer version
  • Switchover from Primary to Logical Standby Server
  • Upgrade old Primary and current Logical Standby now
  • Switchover again and Live to old Server but now upgraded

This is Approach I summarised as per Oracle ducumentation and want to see as if someone can share real practical experience or has some good Docs or URL  to see all steps or what are the restriction that can block this plan as it involves Logical Standby  or so. TIASanay