Re: Remote Storage Mirroring vs Dataguard - Important

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 17:29:36 +0800

In terms of mitigating the license cost, there's no drama having a node that is not designed to *run* your workload, just to *capture/apply* it.

For example, you could have a 10cpu main node but only a single cpu DG node (whose job it is to apply archives). Of course, you dont get true DR failover (ie, there would need to be manual configuration of a new node etc in the event of true site failover), but a lot of sites I've seen have so many manual processes attached to all the other non-db components in the event of site failover, that the obsession with a seamless *db* failover is somewhat comical.

hth,
Connor

--
Connor McDonald

"If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room."
- Jayne Howard