Re: Remote Storage Mirroring vs Dataguard - Important

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 11:23:29 -0400

Yes. Generally, this can be a *big* plus. The licenses needed to operate a standby database can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is probably the only reason I would consider storage-level replication for DR. (It can be used for all sorts of other clever purposes elsewhere, though.)

Of course, the need to restore/install Oracle software, and maybe configure some devices (e.g., if using ASM) could make your failover a little-less-than-instantaneous.

Personally, I have higher confidence in a dataguard standby -- if for no other reason that I know it is ready for failover at a moment's notice, and I can validate the integrity of the database as often as if I choose to. But sometimes there are compelling reasons to sacrifice a little confidence.