Re: Real Application Testing (RAT) option

From: William Robertson <william_at_williamrobertson.net>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 00:33:13 +0100

SQL Performance Analyzer is great, though subject to some practical limitations such as your temp/staging tables being empty at the time of your test. All the same, it's a neat, scriptable way to run repeatable tests on a representative set of SQL statements and get nice comparison reports, all from your desktop.

Database Replay is a brilliant idea in theory but I don't know if many sites could make it work in practice as part of a test/deployment workflow. You need a box with a comparable spec to production and some serious admin privs that DB dev teams don't generally have in my experience, otherwise you'll spend more time raising tickets and booking conference calls than actually replaying stuff. Then again if you're an actual DBA and you want to test upgrades etc then you're probably far better placed to take advantage of it than I ever could be as a developer.

William Robertson

On 5 May 2015, at 23:47, Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Any of you use Oracle's Real Application Testing option? Do you love/hate it? I am thinking of getting it but I haven't heard a lot of talk about it. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jeff