Irritating Snapshot Standby issue. (Rant)

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:30:47 -0500

Oracle 11.2.0.3 on AIX

Please pardon the rant, but this was really kind of irritating.

I sometimes wonder if at Oracle, the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

I ran into a problem yesterday converting a snapshot standby back to a physical standby through dgmgrl. I received the error ORA-16541: database is not enabled. Which was really strange, since it had converted to a snapshot standby through dgmgrl without any problems.

So I researched the problem on the metalink and found note 1969548.1. It said the cause of the error was this: DGConnectIdentifier broker configuration property must use a dynamically registered service.

So, in order to convert back, we removed the static registration with the same service name, and were able to get it converted back to a dataguard standby (once we manually started the instance from sqlplus along the way).

Those of you who have set data guard know that you have to use static registration in order for the broker to perform switchover operations. Why do you suppose Oracle configured this particular operation so that a dynamic registration is required when converting back from a snapshot standby, when a static registration is required for everything else? Obviously someone forgot to do a little QA on this one.

It was really kind of a minor annoyance, but really there was no reason for it to happen

Sent from my iPad--
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Apr 29 2015 - 20:30:47 CEST

Original text of this message