RE: SQLcl new sqlplus for sql developer 4.1 ea NICE

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:14:01 -0700

Hi Jeff,

I tried SQLcl and like some of the features. Thanks!

Two issues I have with Windows console sqlplus still exist in SQLcl and would like to hear your comments.

  1. Control-C aborts to the command console

Unlike the deprecated Windows GUI sqlplusw or sqlplus on UNIX/Linux, pressing Control-C aborts to the console command line most of the time, and definitely does so on the second Control-C if the first one does not. Ideally it should only abort the current running SQL and exit to the SQL> prompt. I have an enhancement request but it never got any attention (Bug 8890996).

2. Binding value to bind variable creates cursor with literal value

To use a bind variable inside sqlplus, you have bind a runtime value like this

var n number
exec :n := 12345

Unfortunately the exec line creates a cursor in shared pool with SQL text that has the value 12345 in it. This defeats the purpose of using bind variables. Imagine you wish to run many SQLs passing different runtime values to your properly prepared SQL statement with a bind variable. This problem does not exist if I write a program using JDBC or Perl DBI with their respective bind call, which is a purely client side behavior. I have an enhancement request on this one too. (In case a real life example is needed, for instance, I would like to exec dbms_shared_pool.purge('<address and hash value>') on a few hundred cursors.)

Other things are minor, but it may be beyond the scope of SQLcl. For instance, running select 'x'||chr(13)||'y'||chr(13)||'z' from dual; still hides some characters in my test.

Yong Huang