Re: FW: Use the existing RAC. . . or build another one?

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:11:32 -0400

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Hubler, Daniel <daniel.hubler_at_aurora.org> wrote:

> So my question is more of a "best practices" idea.

From a "best practices" perspective, I think multiple clusters and multiple database on a single cluster are both rather equal. It's not uncommon to have plenty of both. I've got lots of clusters, with lots of databases on each cluster and lots of apps in each database. In my opinion there's not a "generally" better choice between multiple clusters vs multiple db's on a cluster - it is entirely situational.

Several good things to consider have already been mentioned:

- using OS virtualization
- multiple oracle homes
- vendor certifications (even w same vendor, products could get
different certification levels over time) - patching, other maintenance (pros/cons both ways with this) - licensing/cost (even if it's supposedly a "non-issue" you should still consider it. even with site licensing, current usage can play into future negotiations.)
- current utilization

one additional idea i would submit for consideration is how you partition the workload. i think an excellent configuration is to have a single cluster but partition the workload -- have one app run on the first few nodes and the second app run on the remaining nodes. (services anyone? <g>) in fact, if you can manage to have a single node handle the workload for each app, then you can avoid quite a few interconnect and cluster headaches.

i completely agree with Chris Taylor and Chris Ruel, in that my instinct would be to have a single cluster. also, having spent a lot of time both supporting clusters and helping other DBAs learn about clusters, i have a very strong instinct to keep things absolutely as simple as possible.

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider