Re: FW: Use the existing RAC. . . or build another one?

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 11:16:07 -0400

If the choice is to expand a two-node-cluster to a four-node-cluster, or to deploy two two-node-clusters, then license and hardware costs are moot. They ought to be about the same either way.

There will be a little more effort involved in maintaining two clusters rather than one. But this might be offset by the work you might otherwise find yourself doing with Resource Manager to make sure that the two databases both play well with others on shared hardware.

There should be little stopping you from setting it all up as one cluster now, and splitting it into two later, should you eventually need to do that. (Maybe you might want to plan your storage to facilitate that, just in case.)

I think the only determining issue would be how likely the COST vendors are to insist on difference versions of clusterware. I would go with independent ORACLE_HOMEs in any event -- its almost assured that one vendor will eventually force you to apply an update or patch that the other vendor will refuse to support.