Re: Standby database switching between read-only and recovery modes question

From: Vishal Gupta <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 19:27:55 +0100

You can have the managed recovery running while database is open in READ ONLY mode. Why do you want to take it from OPEN mode to MOUNT mode?

Regards,
Vishal Gupta

On 15 Apr 2015, at 18:25, Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com> wrote:

For those of you who switch your standby db between read-only and recovery mode (non active data guard), how do you manage it?

I've in the process of configuring a reporting database as a standby db, and I *think* I'm going to have to have a script that does 2 things (or 2 scripts).

1 - end recovery mode/open the db read-only during business hours 2 - close the db and put it back in recovery mode

I'm wondering about the "best" way to accomplish item #2. If there are users connected to the DB, I have to kill those sessions *if* I want to do an "alter database close". Should I just scratch that idea and do a shutdown abort on the standby and reopen it?

I'm basically curious how other people are managing the switch between read-only and recovery modes and if you're killing sessions or just shutting down the db to put it back in recovery mode?

Thanks,
Chris