Re: select for update wait issues

From: Freek D'Hooge <freek.dhooge_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 10:52:30 +0200

Sandra,

There has been discussions on this list in the past about performance degradation after moving to T5 (when coming from an M class sparc) for applications depending on single thread throughput. I don't know if this is relevant in your case (certainly as I don't know from which platform you are coming from), but the conclusion was that the T5 had a lower performance on things like memory access. This was notable in an sql trace, where the exec call was consistently higher on a T5 compared to a M5000.

It could be that a (somewhat) lower per thread performance is just tipping your application over and triggers a cascading of events. Also as you mentioned log file syncs, which I think are sensitive to CPU issues.

Ash / snapper would be indeed a good starting point to compare the 2 environments.
Also comparing the execution plans and maybe following up on specific queries (identified with ash or snapper) with sql stracing.

Kind regards,

--
Freek D'Hooge
Exitas NV