Re: Cron management...

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 17:27:23 -0400

Lots of good discussion here. I've done rather large numbers of servers with cron and made it work nicely. I did use subversion for config mgmt and ansible for automation, found these to work well for a simple lightweight solution. Had a framework that automatically kept a local copy of all scripts on the servers in sync with the central subversion repo.

Scheduling tools and OEM have some nice functionality but they also bring a lot of new complexity. Now you have to patch them, maintain the servers they run on, etc. But if you've already got them, by all means take advantage.

However I would actually agree that the best solution is to use the scheduler built into your backup software. I used cronjobs widely in an environment where backups were RMAN-based with DISK not SBT. My biggest issue with scheduling was managing how many backup jobs launch concurrently - even after I built in lockfile logic to prevent multiple backups jobs from stepping on each other, there still was no simple way to code awareness of jobs on other servers. Job management software can do this. But most backup software can do even more: it knows more than just whether jobs are still running; it knows things like how many RMAN channels are open to the backup device and can do things like throttle network throughput if needed.

I don't know about Netbackup specifically so maybe there are some problems with their job management system. But my knee-jerk reaction is that it'd be worth learning your backup product well and leveraging it as much as you can.

-J

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider