RE: Cron management...

From: Herring, David <HerringD_at_DNB.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:29:18 -0500

Chris,

We've been using EM for a long time for our jobs but similar to others this is only for our jobs. Why do we use it?

  • I started using it over cron because it allowed me to centralize job management, along with automatically capturing job logs and execution status.
  • As we (slowly) move away from direct access to the oracle installation account, new security rules don't allow for cron access except for certain exceptions.

I'm rather paranoid (DBAs are paid to be paranoid) so on each EM server I was able to obtain special permission to run cron jobs as the oracle installation user. These exceptions have the sole purpose of making sure nothing freakish has happened to various components of EM. This covers just a few different items with some being related to bugs we hit in previous releases that really hurt.

One thing about NFS with scripts, maybe our hardware vendor isn't managing NFS mounts correctly but periodically they go stale. When that happens, in our case the only way to fix the issue is to reboot the affected server. That's huge when it's a production server yet with the NFS being stale we lost access to all scripts PLUS a root-owned process (can't remember at the moment) starts spinning due to the situation. So yes, we're in the process of storing all scripts locally per server (400 to 500 servers). But with EM12c you can use provisioning functionality to copy code from one spot to another, which means you can use it to create a regular job to refresh all scripts from a central location on your EM to all other servers.

Dave Herring