Re: Oracle on Windows Service run as Domain Account

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 13:31:29 -0400

Just to expand on the last suggestion...

If there are "problems" with the domain account, you can also run into (possibly silent) failures in jobs scheduled by Windows. Your backups may not start, data extracts or loads might not run. Perhaps even your monitoring may stop working if it needs to be restarted periodically, or relies on one-off scripts.

I am no windows expert, so I can't say much about the mechanisms involved, but I *have* seen failures on customer systems where domain accounts were used for these sorts of purposes. Expired passwords were, I think, a common cause of issues but there may also have been causes buried in the LDAP (or whatever Microsoft has renamed it) layer.