Re: Upgrade issues 11.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.4?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 20:04:38 -0500

On 3/31/2015 6:06 PM, MARK BRINSMEAD wrote:
> I have been engaged in a discussion on another forum concerning how
> many databases a small group of DBAs can manage. Some say the answer
> is "one", while I say the answer is -- or can be -- "hundreds". But 5
> DBAs are not going to manage 200 or 300 databases if they all need to
> be patched once every 90 days, and we need to do 2 weeks of testing
> for each one prior to patching. (And some would say that "only" two
> weeks testing is wholly inadequate.)

Not all databases are created equal, some are more equal than the others. My sandbox DB will, of course, be regularly maintained and patched up to the hilt, while the critical business database may not be so lucky. The reason is that patching up the latter requires a bit more testing, things like change control and management approval, while my sandbox can be shut down the very moment that I finish downloading the latest PSU, one which is coming up in April. There are usually 5 or 6 databases having critical status and upgrading them is always a project. Upgrading development databases, QA, UAT or DBA sandbox database is much easier.
Upgrading critical production databases is always a project and surprises can end up as resume generating events.
--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA