RE: Consolidation and Timezones

From: <rajendra.pande_at_ubs.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:36:30 -0400

Missed the thread earlier

If I remember correctly we had to resolve this issue sometime back and the following were used as reference

If my memory serves me right - there is a supported solution from ORACLE to have the host on a separate TZ than the database

Additionally to set GH at a different TZ the below may be relevant

Reference: How to set different timezone when starting up cluster DB? (Doc ID 351534.1)

With Grid there is a separate time zone setting available for databases -

  1. For 11.2.0.1, shell environment variable TZ is set correctly for grid user and root.
  2. For 11.2.0.2 and above, TZ entry in $GRID_HOME/crs/install/s_crsconfig_<nodename>_env.txt sets to correct time zone.

srvctl setenv database -d <dbname> -t 'TZ=<the TZ you want>'

HTH   Regards

  • Raj Pande

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Phil Jones Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 12:15 PM
To: niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Consolidation and Timezones

Hi Niall,

There's an:

alter pluggable database <name> set time_zone = 'whatever';

Worth further investigation.

Ta,

Phil

On 31 Mar 2015, at 13:19, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

        Hi all

        Has anybody had to consolidate a number of databases from servers with disparate server timezone settings to a single platform - either RAC or 12c plugin databases. It seems to me that every database application under the sun makes liberal use of sysdate and/or systimestamp and so relies on the underlying server o/s timezone. if you have had this issue, what did you do? Alternatives that seem viable to me.

  • listener per timezone for cases where the code originates at a remote client.
  • reduced number of consolidation platfotrms - one per timezone.

        --

	Niall Litchfield
	Oracle DBA

Please visit our website at
http://financialservicesinc.ubs.com/wealth/E-maildisclaimer.html for important disclosures and information about our e-mail policies. For your protection, please do not transmit orders or instructions by e-mail or include account numbers, Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information.