Re: To ODA or Not?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 00:26:47 -0400

On 03/27/2015 08:11 PM, Jeff Chirco wrote:
> Well we are not licensed for RAC nor will we want to. Is that a
> requirement? I thought no I had a conversation with the PM at an event
> and I believe he said you didn't need to use RAC, the second server
> could be used as a failover which I guess is like RAC but not a full
> Oracle RAC environment. Maybe that is what you are referring to.
Ah, RAC One Node! That actually makes a lot of sense. Oracle is giving it away for free and is much cheaper than Veritas Cluster and even than the Red Hat cluster or Microsoft Cluster. It's a fail-over solution that can also be used for MySQL or PostgreSQL. You don't actually pay for the clusterware and ACFS (unless you start using snapshots, in which case it is not free), you only pay for the Oracle EE licenses. ACFS is actually a great file system which performs very, very well, even with MySQL or PgSQL.
The way it works is like this: your instance will be running on only one of the two nodes and if that node goes down, the other instance will automatically restart and recover your database on the other node. The storage is shared (AFCS), so the other instance will have immediate access to all the data files, log files and control files. No need to move the storage around from one node to another. You will lose no data and the downtime will be less than 5 minutes. That is the cheapest and the best fail-over suite on the market.
You will recognize RAC One Node by the fact that ORACLE_SID is the same on all clustered nodes.
--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA