Re: To ODA or Not?

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 00:07:47 -0400

Despite constant "sky is falling" messages coming from certain listers, the ODA is very easy to manage.

I hope you don't mean me.

You don't need to be an expert in Linux. You don't need to be an expert in ACFS or ASM. You need to have a good understanding of the database (and Oracle VM if you go that route) and you need to learn oakcli (the command line utility to manage the ODA) and that's pretty much it.

I have little hands-on experience with ODA, but this is exactly what I would expect. I worked with Exadata for about 2 years, and spent 99% of my time working on the database, rather than the infrastructure. Well, aside from applying patches and replacing failed disks, anyway. There was little or nothing to do in terms of RAC or ASM, at least once the system is initially configured.

That's the whole point to having an appliance. You get it, you set it up the way you are told to, and then you (mostly) leave it alone and let it do its thing.

There were a few things we needed to do at the OS level on Exadata. The most memorable was diagnosing and fixing problems in OSwatcher that caused it to chew up a large portion of the CPU on the storage cells and to fill the filesystem with garbage. We happened to have the Linux expertise needed, so we tackled it directly, and gave the "answer" to Oracle Support. Sites with less expertise might choose to do it the other way.

Frankly, I expect most people will be quite happy with ODA.