Re: To ODA or Not?

From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:08:04 -0500

TJ,

There is no "storage pool" when it comes to ASM. ASM groups logical devices into a group. Therefore each ASM disk group has it's own logical devices (which in this case map directly to physical devices).

But, your point is valid. There is no I/O fencing. The only place to get that is with the Exadata/SuperCluster. Your other options is to create separate disk groups for different workloads but you can't do that (not in a way that is supported anyway) on the ODA. However, you can use the database resource manager to limit the I/O that a user or a database can use.

The exception to this rule is the ODA X5-2 which has additional SSDs that can be used for database files or for database flash cache. The devices are in a separate disk group.

Seth Miller