Re: To ODA or Not?

From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:07:10 -0500

Jeff,

You are in luck. The latest release of the ODA uses ACFS for the database storage which has snapshot/clone technology similar to NetApp. ACFS and all of its snapshotting capabilities are included.

ACFS also has replication capabilities which would seem to alleviate your concern about not having snap mirrors.

Your idea of using VMs for segregation is perfectly feasible but hopefully not necessary. The ODA creates a domain called ODABASE which is meant to be the database tier of the appliance while the rest of the resources can be used for VMs. If you have multiple database versions you need to support, simply install those additional oracle homes in ODABASE and run your databases from there. Since you are not running RAC, you don't need to worry about Oracle Clusterware compatibility.

As far as patch testing, there's no magic answer for that. If there is a need to alleviate this risk, you will need to do it with DR and have another environment available in case something goes wrong with patching. I don't see how this would be any different than patching commodity hardware though since you have the same risk (more actually since patching the ODA is much safer than patching commodity) of a failed patch.

Seth Miller