Re: To ODA or Not?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:56:54 -0400

On 03/27/2015 04:39 PM, Jeff Chirco wrote:
> I had another thread started about the ODA but I wanted to separate it
> out.
> I am currently up for a hardware refresh and tossing around the idea
> of Oracle Database Appliance. But in my environment I am not sure if
> it just that easy.

It's primarily financial and logistics decision. So, there are several questions you should ask:
  • Are you saving any money by switching to ODA?
  • Are you getting any new capabilities or losing any old capabilities? If yes, what are you getting and what are you losing?
  • Do you have people who can handle Linux? Are they easy to come by in your town? Switching to another OS means having a whole new list of requirements: backup, monitoring, diagnostics? You will probably need someone to handle all of that.
  • What do you use for OS monitoring now? SCOM will not do the trick with Linux.
  • Is your application adjusted to RAC environment and, if not, how easy would it be to adjust it?

The decision you're talking about is primarily a business decision and cannot be made on oracle-l.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA