Re: ODA - VM question (Windows)

From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 00:08:01 -0500

*"You have to be careful when you request Oracle support because they will tell you that they don't certificate the DB over a virtualized environment -at least not 11g R2 and not over Windows-"*

David, perhaps you had a side conversation with Jeff that the rest of us didn't see but I don't think he mentioned anything about running a database in Windows on a VM.

Jeff, to answer your question, the ODA Virtualized Platform (ODAVP) will run and support any VM support by Oracle Virtual Machine since that is the hypervisor being used. OVM is built over Xen which runs Windows quite well and yes, Windows is fully supported for most products on OVM. Take a look at MOS note 464754.1 for specifics.

*"Going forward every product running on Linux and Windows released by Oracle is certified and supported on Oracle VM. For specific information on the earliest product versions supported on Oracle VM, refer to the product specific information below."*

Seth Miller