RE: Selecte nd NULLs

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 08:46:50 -0400

Yes. For at least 20 million reasons.

But not because of Jim Allen, who is obviously doing a sanity check on his results and pursuing reasonable explanations for variance with expectations.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Phil Jones Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:02 PM
To: James.Clarence.Allen_at_census.gov
Cc: Oracle Chat freelist
Subject: Re: Selecte nd NULLs

Ooh, _at_census.guv

Should we be worried about incorrect election results and population data? :)

Phil

On 25 Mar 2015, at 14:03, James Clarence Allen (CENSUS/EPD FED) <James.Clarence.Allen_at_census.gov> wrote:

Someone,

I am doing a simple select.

SQL>select distinct dbname from mytable where cluster != 'orrac1';

I have a three column table "mytable" (dbname,sid,cluster). The table contains 206 total rows/136 rows with distinct dbname. No indices are on the table.

Some dbnames are not in a cluster (single server) so the cluster column is null.

When I run the select above the rows with the null in cluster column are not returned.

Shouldn't all rows be turned except what I am filtering out?

Sincerely,

Jim Allen
Database Support Lead, MASSDB Staff

Schedule: Mon-Fri, 7:00am-3:30pm