Re: increasing COMPATIBLE parameter

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:13:22 -0400

Good suggestion.

Of course the optimizer is only one (and the most obvious) source of potential "surprises" -- and optimizer changes are the most easily reversible.

There are others, like deferred segment creation just for one example, that leave a more persistent fingerprint on the database.

Again, I'm not making doom-and-gloom predictions here. Just suggesting that one should carefully consider the possibility of surprises when you change the setting of COMPATIBLE. You have not actually done (completed) a version upgrade until you set COMPATIBLE, and once you do it is too late to back out.