Re: Performance problems after moving to new hardware

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 15:57:54 -0600

Finally back to complete this saga. The SEs have some tools they used, along with some things oracle support suggested. I already had timings and execution plans of the most problematic queries from running them on the new hardware. Ran the exact same queries on the old hardware. Funny thing, the execution plans were identical. Because the PSTART and PSTOP columns showed :BF0000 (bloom filter), the developer assumed it wasn't doing partition pruning. Ran the queries 4 times, same runtimes, give or take a few minutes, but I was the only user in the database when testing on the old hardware. Had the application and ad hoc users in when we tested on the new hardware. The graphs and stats the SEs had showed that the CPU and I/O were about the same, better on the new hardware which has 4 other databases running. Old hardware it was the only database. It was abundantly clear to the SEs and DBAs involved in the testing that there was no way the query to return 11.6M rows was finishing in 5 minutes despite the assertions of the developers.

Had a ticket open about the partition pruning to cover all my bases. Support came back with about 3 dozen recommendations for tuning the queries. As I read through them, I see that most of them are the same recommendations I made before being told to fix the database and the hardware. Upshot - we are moving our redo logs off the data mount points to new disk; the developers have been informed of our findings and told we are moving back to the new hardware this week; we will pass on the oracle recommendations and work with them to get their horrible, horrible queries tuned.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Sandy

--
Sandy
GHX