Re: Someone remind me - manual Standby DBs Licensing

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 18:05:36 -0600

Lots of people are confused about this. It is usually a case of mixed definitions.

Standby functionality is part of Oracle Database EE, not extra license.

Data Guard, which implements one form of Standby sync, is also part of Oracle Database EE, not extra license.

Active Data Guard Option is a set of features on top of Data Guard that require extra license.

However ...

Every machine on which the Oracle Database runs must be licensed. Running means using CPU cycles and memory, showing up in 'ps -ef'.. Applying redo logs is considered running. Therefore the standby must be licensed.

Docs:

Licensing doc, which tells which features are available in edition or option, is at
http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/DBLIC/editions.htm#DBLIC119

Software Investment Guide, which discusses definitions is at http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/software-investment-guide/index.html

Your question is covered at
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/data-recovery-licensing-070587.pdf