Re: RMAN backup validate

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 17:36:19 -0600

On 14/03/2015 1:53 PM, Andrew Kerber wrote:
> You should also do a full restore periodically to verify the validity of your recovery plan. At least every 6 months.

In paper, I agree ...

As long as we have identified a recovery plan, and possibly even have have distinguished between HA and DR - which some do, and some don't - it is a great idea to test whether the recovery plan actually works and whether people involved in implementing it actually can do so.

I do note that some organizations have a variety of recovery ideas, and sometimes even formal plans, for a variety of situationsing ; tier 1 might involve RAC, tier 2 might involve local Standby even Active DG, tier 3 might involve offsite DR practices.

I also note that the recovery plan can not be limited to the database piece. Too many apps have hard-coded stuff, such as database server names or IP addresses. Testing the recovery plan must involve more than just checking whether we can restore the database.

I finally note that good DR readiness is blinking expensive, is based on analysis that few actually do, is generally Pi in the sky, and is rarely really supported by management other than "of course we need it". It would be interesting to create a Jeremy poll to find out how many actually do perform end-to-end recovery plan testing.

/Hans
happy Pi day everyone