Re: RMAN backup validate

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 17:51:53 -0400

On 03/14/2015 05:24 PM, Andrew Kerber wrote:
> Depends on your environment and circumstances. RAC is not HA unless the storage itself is replicated outside your data center.
Depends on the definition of HA. The usual definition is that RAC tolerates a single point of failure. SAN equipment normally tolerates fried disks. As for the SAN replication, one usually does either disk or standby replication, not both. I find standby databases more frequently than disk replication.

> Logical corruption can require restores to an earlier point in time.

Or flashbacks. Flashbacks are here to protect you from human errors. So called "logical corruption" is always a result of human errors. Humans, apart from Chuck Norris, make mistakes. As a recent post by Jonathan Lewis shows, there is a cost associated with FB:

https://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2015/03/09/flashback-logging/

However, if protection against logical corruption is of paramount importance, then you need to consider it. There is also a sequel, called "flashback logging - the phantom menace", which can be found here:

https://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2015/03/09/flashback-logging/

> Basically if you have an rman backup, you should have a tested plan for using it or there is no point in taking it.
>
> Sent from my iPad

That much we agree upon. However, the content of the "tested plan for using it" part is where we differ. If everything else is in place, occasional "restore validate" constitutes "a tested plan for using it, at least in my humble opinion. Restoring 75 TB monster, housed in a full rack Exadata X5, and I have seen such thing, could be qualified as an unusual and cruel punishment for a junior DBA. The boss probably also wouldn't be too thrilled about having to provision 75TB of storage, just for a testing purposes, even if it's running on a cheap storage like EMC VMAX, usually found at the companies having enough money for the full rack Exadata.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA