Re: RMAN backup validate

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 15:44:17 -0400

On 03/14/2015 11:26 AM, Chen Zhou wrote:
> Hi, Everyone,
> If I ran RMAN Validate copy of database check logical and it returns
> no corruption, does it mean the image copy is good?

The "CHECK LOGICAL" clause check the structure of the blocks and is meant to be used by backup as in
"BACKUP DATABASE CHECK LOGICAL". Restore validate reads the backup and checks all checksums. If all is well, the bacjkup is OK.

> I have a large database that is backed up by using incrementally
> updated image copy.
> I am wondering how would I know for sure if the backup is still good.
> Should I recreate the whole backup once in a while?
That sounds as a good idea if you have resources.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA