Re: Autostarting wallet question.

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:16:51 -0400

Hmmm...

How, exactly, does Oracle know whether or not you are on "the system where it was created"?

This is a problem I encountered with a many years ago with keyed security product (which will remain unnamed by design) where the software keys were meant to work only on a single computer.

Because this was a product meant to work with almost any UNIX platform, it could not rely on any hardware- or vendor-specific means of identifying a host.

Their solution was ti use the MAC-address of the "first" NIC on the server. After all, MAC addresses are assured to be unique, right? (Okay, they were back then -- this was years before anyone started running UNIX on virtual machines.)

Here was the problem though -- if for some reason you had to replace (or even disable) the component containing the "first" NIC on the computer, the computer would get a whole new identity, and the "security" software would stop working. When that happened, you would be unable to mount disks, open a database, or even read backup tapes!

What hardware components do I need to replace to make my "local wallet" stop working? Does this work with virtualized machines? Can it be *fooled* by virtual machines?

I'm not trying to "poke holes" here. I'm genuinely curious.

Cheers!