Re: Transparent Data Encryption

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:05:08 -0500

I was just thinking about long-term LTC myself. The documentation for backup/recovery of the keys makes my head hurt:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e40393/asotrans.htm#ASOAG9548

I am very confused why RMAN does not back up the wallet if the wallet is critical to the operation of the database. But in any event, in my dream I would store all my wallets in the default location ($ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/wallet/) and just backup the wallet at the default location whenever I do a database backup; if there is no wallet, no backup of wallet, no problem.

Database cloning is an issue as well, as we typically do several a week. I have to read up, but my gut says we can use a copy of the wallet/master key. I might be totally wrong, but I will find out later today when I test it. :)

By the way, Jeremy, I think some of your observations might be wrong or slightly incorrect. :) For instance, querying V$ENCRYPTION_WALLET does not seem to trigger an open of the wallet for me (11.2.0.4); it merely reports the status of the wallet, which is good. V$WALLET seems totally useless to me.

--
Charles Schultz