Transparent Data Encryption

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 13:48:32 -0500

I feel like an idiot asking this of such a list of smart people, but I must.

Where does one get started with Transparent Data Encryption?

I am trying to teach myself, but I have run up against some quirky things that hinder my progress.

For example, Enterprise Manager seems very inconsistent; using 12c EMCC, I never know when/if the "Transparent Data Encryption" menu option will appear under "Security". When it does, it is not clear if the options I select have any significance. For example, when I "close" the wallet, I get a message saying the wallet was successfully closed, but nothing changes in the database (I can still select uncached data from an encrypted tablespace) and the wallet still shows as open in EM.

Another example. I have tried to follow the documentation for an 11gR2 database. Setting the encryption key via sqlplus seems to work fine, but then I can not locate the wallet which should be in the "default location". When I set a specific location in sqlnet.ora, I still do not see the wallet. I often get messages about an auto-login wallet when trying to open or close. And the documentation for the orapki interface leaves me confused. :)

Obviously I am bumbling around. Is there a simpler way to get my feet wet?

Or am I just not getting it? :)

--

Charles Schultz

--