Re: Importance of archivelog : searching for good document

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 20:50:32 -0400

There are cases where archivelogging is not (strictly) needed.

Datawarehouse applications come to mind as an example. If the database is changed only during once-nightly loads, then it *may be* adequate to perform backups immediately after the load has been performed, and there is no (real) need for PITR capability.

This is also a use-case where the ability to turn on and turn off archiving without a restart would be useful. You would turn on archiving just before beginning an online backup, and turn it off again once the backup is complete.

Such a configuration would be putting a lot of faith on the users not to modify data during the day (unless you also switch the database to readonly after the data loads are complete), but I can at least imagine environments where this might be desirable.

I have to admit, though -- I am curious as to what exactly has caused Kyle to raise this question. I doubt it came about as the result of any deep-seated doubts about archive logging on *his* part. :-)