RE: SunFire Server Hangs

From: Matt <mvshelton_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 09:09:18 -0500

Are they clustered? What software is running on them?

Matt

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hans Forbrich Sent: Friday, March 6, 2015 9:15 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: SunFire Server Hangs

No idea if it could be related, but I have now a habit of investigating the inter-machine time sync mechanisms (usually NTP) fairly early in 'mysterious freeze' situations.

Found that to be a problem in a few situations, and in one case the two NTP servers I used were themselves out of sync, exasperating the symptoms.

/Hans

On 06/03/2015 5:31 PM, MacGregor, Ian A. wrote:

Over the past 26 months or so we have three SunFire x86 servers hang, two, quite recently, within a few weeks of each other. The servers show no signs of high activity before the freeze None of the monitoring scripts we run indicate any problem at all before the freeze. When it happens the machine is hangs, it does ping, and can be reset through the sp.

Looking at the boot events. There is a system downtime which matches when the freeze occurs,

No virus found in this message.