Re: Force implicit data conversion

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 20:10:47 +0000

Evening Kim,

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find those definitions of "target variable"? I'm unable to find anything that Oracle have documented as such, but maybe I'm not searching properly - it happens!

I agree I mentioned literal, when maybe I shouldn't have, mea culpa as they say in Ancient Rome.

There were comments earlier on this thread that mentioned something along the lines of "Oracle wouldn't convert the table data to match the camp arisen data, that would be a huge performance hit" (obviously I'm paraphrasing, I'm in the bath ant not at my laptop!). However, the extract from the docs I quoted shows quite clearly, that Oracle will convert the table data.

I think, however, we all agree, implicit conversions are pretty much misunderstood, unhealthy and, generally, a bad thing.

Cheers,
Norm.

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Mar 05 2015 - 21:10:47 CET

Original text of this message