Re: Moving to RAC

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 01:13:37 -0500

Take care with that "unplugging cables" part, and make sure you restrict yourself to cables that are MEANT to be unpluggable. (These days, that probably ought to be almost everything, though, unless you open a chassis and get out some wire cutters.)

Way back in my ancient sysadmin days, I almost killed a "clever" DBA who decided to perform such a test on a running Sequent Symmetry system without asking me first. He unplugged a SCSI cable on a running system, and risked toasting a $50,000 IO card. (Back in those days, the storage redundancy was done in software about 3 levels up the stack, and the SCSI cables were not "hot-pluggable".)

Ah, the Sequent Symmetry 2000... I wonder how many DBAs still remember a time when the *hardware* actually cost more than the database licenses? ;-)