Re: Oracle in an AIX LPAR

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 16:49:38 +0100 (CET)

Hi John,

>> we see that Oracle appears to be using only 1 thread per CPU almost all the time. You mean one vCPU = one thread, right? The CPU usage can also be shown as 50%, but it is not 50% in reality - it depends on the used entitlement per vCPU.

Is this a dedicated LPAR or a shared (CPU) pool one? If the latter, is it uncapped (?), what is the max entitlement (?), how many vCPUs (?), what is the weight-factor (?), what is the SMT factor(?) ?

The tools nmon and topas are lying sometimes - especially in case of vCPUs and the used entitlement. However you can use nmon (resource option - shortcut r) to get some of the LPAR setting details. In case of micro partitioning i would go for lparstat & mpstat.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK