RE: Moving to RAC`

From: Freeman, Donald G. CTR (ABL) <"Freeman,>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 13:08:56 +0000

I'm in the same situation here. We are late delivering a huge upgrade to our suite of applications, consolidating them, and all efforts have been made to get it working on a single server in the test environment. Our test environment is a fraction of the intended production environment with no working external interfaces. We will start consolidating the activities and databases of various business units into a single VPD enabled database. Nobody knows how this is going to work and no one has really thought about how it will work in production and what tools etc will be need to keep it running. We will start with a single activity later this year.

I submitted a paper and recommended that we go to RAC on Solaris cluster, local logical standby, cloud control, logical standby on a disaster recover site. We will only have two of the packs, performance and tuning, paid for in our enterprise agreement. The only out-of-pocket we would have to pay for licenses is for that RAC. I'm having cold feet about whether or not to ask for enough licenses to build a RAC test system which would probably cost us an additional 300k or maybe less if we go per user. Would you wait a year and build the standby system first? I'm trying to figure out how to provide some sort of high availability. I dread trying to do all of this unless we have an identical system to practice on.

We don't know how this thing is going to work on a single server hence my desire to get cloud control up and running. Is it premature to think about suggesting RAC?