Re: Using Service Names for database

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:25:17 +0100 (CET)

Hi Jeff,
yes, i also use and implement multiple service names in most of my client's RAC environments. Why? Mostly due to load balancing goals for different apps / client technologies (e.g. OCI, JDBC, etc.) with feature limits (e.g. TAF, FAN, etc.).

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e17264/configwlm.htm#TDPRC300 http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10803/config_cw.htm#HABPT4860

I also just enable the features (per service) that they can use for that particular app in order to avoid unnecessary overhead, e.g. like FAILOVER_TYPE = SELECT and Oracle Net tracking.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19509-01/820-3492/boaem/index.html

Another main reason for implementing an additional service is tracing dedicated sessions or apps with DBMS_MONITOR.SERV_MOD_ACT_TRACE_ENABLE.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK