Re: MySQL Support

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 05:51:10 -0500

I agree. Percona has a free hot backup utility, on par with Oracle utility. If you install Grid infrastructure, the artist formerly known as CRS, you can have MySQL cluster, with fail-over for free. I checked MySQL performance on ACFS and it's quite decent. I can only recommend the following document:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/clusterware/downloads/ogiba-2189738.pdf

Essentially, MySQL instance will become a resource visible when you run command "crsctl stat res". It will also restart the resource if one node becomes unavailable. Do not try running in cluster mode, on both nodes. MySQL doesn't have RAC capabilities. I am aware of the fact that MySQL is not the first database people think of when someone mentions CRS, but it works very nicely on ACFS. Version 5.6+ is supported. I haven't tried 5.7 yet, didn't have time.

On 2/17/2015 10:12 PM, William Muriithi wrote:
> ‎+1 for Percona
>
> William
>
> We have MySQL cluster supporting one of our 3rd party component, since we got carrier grade version of MySQL, we were able to get support from Oracle. I doubt you would get help from Oracle on the free version nor any support on patch release. That being said, I have heard about Percona providing support in general for any MySQL deployments. Perhaps they could help you.
>
> Stalin
>
> Sent from my Mobile
>
>> On Feb 17, 2015, at 7:31 AM, Jeff C <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a question about MySQL support. We currently have never used MySQL but recently purchased a 3rd party application that will run locally and use the free version of MySQL but my question is how do I get support. Do we need to purchase a support package from Oracle? I am not sure how much we will even need it but if there is issues with patch and I need to talk to someone what do I do? Does anybody have any experience with this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA