Re: combining metrics in oem 12c

From: Ethan Post <post.ethan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 22:57:41 -0600

No idea but likely you can write any custom type alert you desire in 12c. I have written my own system over the years for this sort of thing I can tell you I have never seen a circumstance in which I want to get out of bed for such a thing. Don't know what issue your trying to critical alert on but I am sure I can come up with a better scenario which won't capture things you don't care about.

Why logical reads? Why not CPU? For example, if more than 5 sessions have used more than 75% of a single CPU within the last hour and total available CPU is < 20% for last 10 minutes, then critical event. Or better yet, send emails until 6AM, then start paging/open ticket. This usually allows you to get some much needed sleep but get alerted before most of the folks roll into work. Or just if total CPU is <20% available for past hour minus the CPU datapump is burning. You want to alert on the exact issue you are getting dinged for and still, only get out of bed if it can't wait until 6 or 7 am. Trust me on this, sleep is awesome and makes for happy employees.

I have stayed away from EM because by the time I figured out how to write such an alert in EM terms I usually start wishing I wrote it from scratch. I know EM has improved a lot so not going to knock it, I am just out of the loop totally on it, but logical IO is just not a good starting point for an alert usually, at least one that is going to port well to other databases (like when CPU's get faster).