Re: block chg tracking

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:37:38 -0500

On 02/12/2015 09:57 AM, Powell, Mark wrote:
> I am not sure I agree with the following logic: "With a really big DB, overhead of restoring several incremental backups becomes unacceptable. I don't know the sizes of your databases and the SLA time specified to bring them back, but chances are that restoring several incremental backups will take significant amount of time."
>
> With a large database just restoring the files will take a large amount of time, perhaps rendering the time necessary to apply the incremental and archive log relatively insignificant in comparison. You have to apply the archived redo logs from the last backup to bring the database current. Incremental backups are actually just collections of changes and the applying of the incremental backup replaces applying all the logs generated between the full backup (level 0 in this case) and the incremental backup so does applying incremental backups really add much if any time to the total recovery process?

Well, in my experience, restoring an incremental backup is not a very fast operation. To tell the truth, I haven't done it in quite a while. I do remember duplicate database problems in 10G, when BCT was on. The control file of the auxiliary instance was restored from the target instance and contained an information about the BCT file which was not restored on the auxiliary instance. The database refused to open. The workaround was to disable the BCT during the duplicate DB and then to re-enable it, thereby messing up my incremental backups.

> My ideal would be to run full backups every night and not use incremental backups however if I remember right incremental backups were introduced as a way to reduce the time necessary to run the nightly backups. So if you are using incremental backups to reduce the load on the machines during say, nightly batch, you may not really have a choice. Then we get to those sites where an rman full backup takes more than 24 hours to run.

And that's exactly the thing that de-duplication is supposed to address. Of course, very large databases have corresponding hardware requirements. The primary means of maintaining the availability is always a physical standby, if the up-time requirements are 7x24x365, and they usually are.

> I think backup requirements are very site specific.

Yes they are. And more complex and expensive than people realize. I see many people abandoning tapes altogether, but I am not quite clear as to why. There is nothing else that can store 6TB of data on a $45 piece of medium. 6TB of EMC disk space will cost much more, even if it's Isilon or VNX. I don't even want to discuss VMAX. Problem is that with the advent of WWW, many more sites are being asked to remain up 7 days a week, 24 hours per day. Long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, when there was no Amazon, book shops could have shut their systems down for the Sunday afternoon. Do that these days, and your shop will likely go the way of the Borders Books. Banks, news and media outlets and even mortar and click shops like Walmart have to remain open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year. Such extreme up-time requirements which were once reserved only for the credit card companies, huge international banks, HMO's and 911 services are now common. And that puts a completely new set of requirements on the backup strategy. I doubt that Google could tell internet users that they're doing maintenance and are shutting down their systems on every first Sunday in a month, for 1 hour. Even that would be considered far too much. And that would still be 99% up-time. Backup and restore become extremely expensive when it is not possible to shut the company production database down for 12 hours per year. The classic wisdom of doing a weekly full backup over the weekend and incremental backups in the meantime no longer apples.