RE: sql dev

From: Zelli, Brian <Brian.Zelli_at_RoswellPark.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 20:44:12 +0000

I have been trying to edit the conf file but what exactly do I replace it with? The entire path? Am I looking for the java.exe, or the dll?

Brian

From: Jeff Smith [mailto:jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com] Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 3:41 PM
To: Zelli, Brian; Hans Forbrich; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: sql dev

Edit the product.conf file in your 4.1 system directory as described here http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2013/12/oracle-sql-developer-4-windows-and-the-jdk/

From: Zelli, Brian [mailto:Brian.Zelli_at_RoswellPark.org] Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 3:37 PM
To: Hans Forbrich; oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: sql dev

When I changed the path in the sqldeveloper config file for the set java home, I got this error:

Unable to create an instance of the Java Virtual Machine Located at path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_51\jre\bin\clinet\jvm.dll

That looks to be pointing to my older version, how do I change it to the right one?

Brian

From: Hans Forbrich [mailto:fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 3:24 PM
To: Zelli, Brian; oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: sql dev

Thanks.

Since you are running 64-bit, you could download the SQL Developer for 64-bit Windows that includes Java (311MB), as that is already pre-integrated and pretty much just works (assuming you don't end up with a hidden security dialog box warning you that you are trying to execute something from the scary interwebs).

In the version you have, opening the directory you unzipped into, and double-clicking on sqldeveloper.exe SHOULD pop up a dialog asking where the Java 1.8 is (again assuming no scary permissions dialog) and you would point to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_31 ... you get lots of "not certified with Java higher than 1.7" messages, but it seems to work OK

/Hans

On 02/02/2015 1:13 PM, Zelli, Brian wrote: I am running 64 bit.

I tried the cmd java - version and it says:

Java version "1.8.0_31"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_31-b13) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

Brian

From: Hans Forbrich [mailto:fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 3:08 PM
To: Zelli, Brian; oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: sql dev

The question is whether you are running Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit. That can be determined by going to the Control Panel and opening the System applet.

I have had no problem using the 4.1 on a Windows 7 64-bit environment using the complete download, which includes the JDK.

I am currently trying to reproduce your challenge on a Windows 7 32-bit environment, using the 32-bit JDK and the same SQLDeveloper you downloaded.

Please open a command box and run "java -version" and post the output.

/Hans

On 02/02/2015 1:03 PM, Zelli, Brian wrote: Yes, I am on the sql developer 4.1 early Adopter page and the download says Windows 32/64bit. That's what I downloaded.

Brian

From: Hans Forbrich [mailto:fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 3:00 PM
To: Zelli, Brian; oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: sql dev

Can we assume you are using Windows 7 32-bit?

Which unzip utility did you use?

I'm trying to reproduce on my Win7-32b environment.

/Hans

On 02/02/2015 12:28 PM, Zelli, Brian wrote: I am running it from my desktop which is Windows 7

Brian

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hans Forbrich Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 2:27 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: sql dev

On 02/02/2015 12:04 PM, Zelli, Brian wrote: I downloaded sql developer 4 and extracted it, downloaded the jdk 8 and installed. Now when I click on sql dev app, nothing happens. How can I tell what it's doing? Why isn't it working?

Remote cameras obscured by your shoulder - can't see the desktop to identify OS to start appropriate troubleshooting flow.

./Hans

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.