Re: ODA 12.1.2 Databases on ACFS

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:11:54 -0500

On 01/26/2015 09:43 AM, Seth Miller wrote:
> Thanks Mladen. I appreciate your feedback.
>
> ODA is certainly not just a Linux box with Oracle, ASM and ACFS. And
> yes, it is RAC.
>
> Seth Miller

OK, do you get any license savings? How is it licensed? Is it licensed per CPU core or is it a fixed cost? As for the files on ACFS, I'm not sure that's an advantage. ASM does a pretty good job by itself, especially with the newer releases, where I can copy the files in and out of ASM using asmcmd. In contrast with ASM, extent based file systems like ACFS are susceptible to fragmentation and ACFS has no defragmenter. FS snapshots are a nice thing, but every storage manufacturer has disk snapshots. It's not a big deal.
--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA