Re: Non-CDB officially deprecated ...

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 20:15:20 -0500

On 01/22/2015 12:39 PM, Hans Forbrich wrote:
> I suspected this was going to happen, but was just made aware of the
> official statement (thanks Mike and Christian for highlighting the info)
>
> From the 12c "Database Upgrade Guide" at
> https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/UPGRD/deprecated.htm#BABDBCJI
>
> "The non-CDB architecture is deprecated in Oracle Database 12c, and
> may be desupported and unavailable in a later Oracle Database release.
> Oracle recommends use of the CDB architecture."
>
> (There is also a note about features that are not ready in CDB
> architecture at the same location.)
>
> I especially like Mike Dietrich's discussion at
> https://blogs.oracle.com/UPGRADE/entry/non_cdb_architecture_of_oracle
>
> /Hans

Will that option be available for free? So far, it's much more economical to create several instances than to pay for multi-tenant option. According to list price, this option costs $10k/CPU thread, for an Intel server. For that money it is possible to get a whole lot of Intel-based hardware, which makes savings of 15% of CPU power and a few GB or memory a moot point. That statement of direction makes sense if and only if this option will be incorporated in the future releases. On the other hand, I believe that this option will be incorporated for free in the future releases because, for the reasons stated above, currently it doesn't make much sense to pay for it.
--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA