Re: Create second physical standby

From: Nassyam Basha <nassyambasha_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 15:25:13 +0530

Hello Sandra,

> 1. Does the second standby require additional standby redo logs in the
primary?

Its not required to create on primary and its same even if you have 1 standby database or more.
Reason, Standby redo log will receive the redo only from primary and you will be having only one primary in whole Data Guard configuration. Moreover standby redo log files used in primary database only if the role transited from primary to standby database.

> 2. I want this second standby to be the failover database (newer, better
hardware). Do I need to change only the order in the FAL_SERVER parameter or are there additional parameter changes needed to ensure the proper order?

I hope you are asking here regarding Failover but not moving physical standby from one server to other, if so below is explanation.

When we perform failover on physical standby , then it won't act any more as member of the data guard configuration because of the changes in incarnation. After the failover of standby then you have to remove/modify few parameters. they are
LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG --> ensure you take out the DB_UNIQUE_NAME of standby which is not part any more
FAL_SERVER --> is configured in physical standby , Same time FAL_SERVER configured in primary to send archive to standby destinations, so you can modify the parameter.
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n --> reset the value
LOG_ARCHIVE_DES_STATE_n -- > defer the destination

If you are talking about moving physical standby from one server to another server, then simply defer the destination from primary and after moving/restoring database on new server, then again you have to work on above parameters.

> 3. For the data guard configuration, is there a specific order for
things to be done there?
Above will suffice, If you are using Data Guard Broker, then remove the database from configuration.

Whole data guard configuration we can play around only the above parameters. Am not clear with your second question and if you feel that my answer is irrelevant then please let me know..

Thank You.

--
Nassyam Basha.
Oracle DBA