Re: Call for Oracle Licensing reform

From: Ronan Merrick <merrickronan1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 16:52:57 +0000

Hi Listers,

I bought a new server with two cpus. I want to partition this machine and just use one cpu for licensing purposes. I was reading around the documentation and got immersed in the virtualization debate. My understanding is that hard partitioning is only recognised for licensing purposes. As far as I can see the nitty gritty of hard partitioning is that you can partition at the core level which would seem to be relevant for the enterprise edition.
The database I want to deploy on the server is standard edition so shouldn't soft partitioning apply since this is on a socket basis not the number of cores?
When I bought the server the Oracle hardware rep told me that the xen hypervisor on Oracle VM would be adequate to ensure license compliance if I wanted to partition the machine.
However my Oracle database rep he indicated that I may have to license both cpus as partitioning is not recognised for standard edition. He didn't sound 100% sure though and the hardware rep at the time said that the database guys don't like them making people aware of the partitioning issue. Just wondering if anybody has any experience of this TIA
Ronan